The following are actual statements
found in insurance forms where
car drivers attempted to summarize the details of an accident in
the fewest words. These instances of faulty writing served to
confirm that even incompetent writing may be highly
1. Coming home, I drove into the wrong
house and collided with
a tree I don't have.
2. The other car collided with mine without giving warning of
3 I thought my window was down, but I found out it was up when
I put my head through it.
4. I collided with a stationary truck coming the other way.
5. A truck backed through my windshield into my wife's face.
6. A pedestrian hit me and went under my car.
7. The guy was all over the road, I had to swerve a number of
times before I hit him.
8. I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law,
and headed over the embankment.
9. I attempted to kill a fly, and I drove into a telephone pole.
10. I had been shopping for plants all day, and was on my way
home. As I reached the intersection, a hedge sprang up
obscuring my vision and I did not see the other car.
11. I had been driving for forty years, when I fell asleep at the wheel
and had an accident.
12. I was on my way to the doctor with rear end trouble and my
universal joint gave way, causing me to have an accident.
13. As I approached the intersection, a sign suddenly appeared
in a place where no sign had ever appeared before. I was unable
to stop in tim to avoid the accident.
14. To avoid hitting the bumper of the car in front, I struck
15. My car was legally parked as it backed into the other vehicle.
16. An invisible car come out of nowhere, struck my car and vanished.
17. I told the police that I was not injured, but on removing my
hat, found that I had a fractured skull.
18. I was sure the old fellow would never make it to the other
side of the road when I struck him.
19. The pedestrian had no idea which direction to run, so I ran over him.
20. I saw a slow-moving, sad-faced old gentleman as he bounced
off the hood of my car.
21. An indirect cause of the accident was a little guy in a small
car with a big mouth.
22. I was thrown from the car as it left the road. I was later found
in a ditch by some stray dogs.
23. The telephone pole was approaching. I was attempting to swerve out
of its way when it struck my front end.